The Janitor is responsible for keeping the building(s) in a clean and orderly condition at all times by performing heavy cleaning duties such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, removing rubbish, etc. Responsibilities may include tending to the furnace and/or boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, state and federal laws; e.g., OSHA, ADA, Fair Housing, etc
- General Janitorial
• Removal of snow and salting of walkways during the appropriate months
• Walk the property exterior on a frequent basis and removes litter, debris and pet droppings
• Walk the property interior on a frequent basis and removes litter, graffiti or other vandalism, ensures that specific areas remain locked
• Perform “trash-out” duties in vacant units (removes abandoned furniture, trash, boxes, etc. to dumpsters or storage, as directed)
• Clean vacant units at turnover
• Perform floor care and maintenance, as determined by manufacturer (carpet, tile, etc.)
• Dust, vacuum and clean common areas (rest rooms, laundry, common area kitchen, offices, multipurpose rooms, and stairwells)
• Clean mechanical rooms and maintain proper storage of materials
• Assist with various exterior maintenance tasks, as directed (i.e. tearing down fences, digging post holes, cleaning units, replacing screens, exterior painting)
• Distribute resident communications, i.e. newsletter, correspondence, pest control notices, etc.
• Assist with light maintenance inside the units or common areas (i.e. painting units, screen replacement, toilet clogs, closet doors, etc.)
• Keep grounds maintained (if no Grounds position is at the site) and work with professional landscaper, if available. Tasks could include lawn care, weed control, trimming bushes, mulching beds, sweeping sidewalks, edging plant areas and sidewalks, fertilization, turf maintenance, etc.)
• Assist with pool maintenance, as directed
- Preventive Maintenance
• Must be aware of the condition of physical property throughout the community and immediately notify management of any unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights.
• Replace interior and exterior lighting, and monitor locked areas such as storage, laundry, etc.
• Perform work orders, as assigned.
• Be on the look out for any safety hazards, including LBP, asbestos, radon, hazardous spills and workplace safety. Notify management immediately if safety hazards exist
• Maintain a "safety first" attitude
• Ensure all safety equipment is used consistently and appropriately
• Perform work area clean-up and safety related duties
Any other responsibilities as assigned by the Property Manager, the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Maintenance III